After Matt Reeves deliver us the great and underrated ‘Cloverfield – Monster’, no one could have imagined that we would get a sequel; said and done, eight years later, Dan Trachtenberg decided to revisit this explosive and dangerous mythology with the acclaimed sci-fi ’10 Cloverfield Street’.
In the plot, a young woman suffers a serious car accident and wakes up in the basement of a stranger. The man claims to have saved his life from a chemical attack that left the world uninhabitable, which is why they must remain safe there. Distrustful of the story, she tries to find a way to free herself at the risk of discovering a much more dangerous truth than staying locked up in the place.
starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead, John Goodman e John Gallagher Jr., the film surprised everyone by the quality of the narrative, direction and performances, in addition to the claustrophobic and ambiguous atmosphere created by Trachtenberg. In addition to numerous critical acclaim, the production made a huge splash at the box office, grossing over six times the value of your budget.
To celebrate his sixth birthday, which is celebrated tomorrow, March 11O CinePOP prepared a short list with some backstage triviawhich you can check below:
- Winstead was the only choice to play the protagonist Michelle.
- The name of the gas station where Michelle to refuel her car is called Kelvin. This is a easter egg that is present in all projects produced/directed by J.J. Abrams – a tribute to his maternal grandfather, Henry Kelvin, who influenced him as a boy.
- Emmett, played by Gallagher Jr., has a VHS tape of the fictional film ‘Cannibal Airlines’. this is another easter egg of the feature, which is part of a series of satirical VHS packages created by the author Rob Schrab and used as decoration of the offices of the Bad Robotproducer of Abrams.
- Michelle doesn’t have a single line for the first ten minutes of the film.
- Winstead is barefoot for much of the film. In an interview, she said that several close-up shots that didn’t show her feet, she was wearing flip-flops or slippers.
- In one of the scenes, for a brief moment, it is possible to see an envelope delivered to Howard (Goodman). His last name, along with his address, can be read: Rua Cloverfield, 10 – Lake Charles, Louisiana.
- The movie trailer, shown during the ’13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi’was released just two months before its US debut – an unusually short period for works by major studios.
- Despite being set in the same universe, ’10 Cloverfield Street’ e ‘Cloverfield – Monster’ have few similarities to each other. In 2018, Abrams produced the third installment of the franchise, ‘The Cloverfield Paradox’tying the three narratives together.
- Cast members were unaware of the film’s title during filming, in order to keep it a secret as long as possible.