Jennifer Lopez is one of the few names in entertainment to have found considerable success in both music and film – and one of his most decorated and well-known roles is that of Selena Quintanilla-Perezthe queen of music Texanin the acclaimed biopic ‘Selena’.
Launched in 1997, the production was written and directed by Gregory Nava and follows the childhood and career of Selena, one of the main musicians of the end of the last century, who brought the Latin incursions from her homeland to the mainstream American and became one of the most important figures of all time – as well as the most successful, with sales that surpass the 80 million units. However, she met her end at just 23 years old, when she was murdered by the ruthless Yolanda Saldivar.
With the production, Lopez stole the attention of critics and the public, earning a Golden Globe nomination with a performance which is considered one of the best of his career. In addition to collecting US$35.5 million worldwide, the film has been selected by the US government for preservation for its “cultural, aesthetic and historical” value.
This year, the feature completed 25 years since its debut and, to celebrate its anniversary, we have separated a brief list with some backstage triviawhich you can see below:
- jackie war wanted the role of Suzette Quintanilla, Selena’s sister, so much that she lied at her audition, saying that she played drums professionally – when, in fact, she had never played the instrument. When the truth was revealed, Suzette herself gave Guerra private lessons.
- To prepare for the role, Lopez lived for a long time with Selena’s family.
- At the time, Lopez became the highest-paid Latin woman in Hollywood history for the project, with a fee of $1 million.
- The studio where the music “I Could Fall in Love” was shot in the movie is actually Studio A in Q-Productionswhere Selena herself recorded her English-language album.
- More of 20 thousand girls auditioned for the roles of Selena at different ages.
- Constance Marywho played Selena’s mother in the biopic, originally auditioned for the role of the titular protagonist.
- In real life, Selena, who was born in Texas, had a weak but obvious southern accent (something that came out most clearly in the pronunciation of some words). Lopez, who is from New York, managed to adopt Selena’s accent in subtle ways in the same way we heard him in interviews.
- Salma Hayek was considered for the lead role, but declined the offer, as she wanted to play Frida Khalo in the acclaimed ‘Frida’, in 2002 (which earned her an Oscar nomination), and didn’t want to play two different Mexican heroines. Lopez would say in an interview with Moveline that Hayek’s finding was “a complete lie.”
- Almost the entire cast (Lopez, Marie, Edward James Olmos, Jacob Vargas e Lupe Ontiveros) starred together in Nava’s previous film, ‘My Family’ (1995).
- Rob Reiner was considered to direct the project, but was then sidelined after the critical and commercial failure of ‘The Guardian Angel’from 1994.