Throughout the history of cinema, several titles caused a great divide between critics and audiences – which is why they became classics. cults after being detonated by the experts.
And this is the case for ‘Anaconda’.
The adventurous horror starring Jennifer Lopez was released in 1997 and was slammed at the time of its release. However, this was not reflected in terms of the box office and the acceptance of spectators, which made the film gross more than US$136 million worldwide and become a landmark in the culture popyielding even several sequels and a cross-over with ‘Panic at the lake’.
In the plot, a group of filmmakers enters the Amazon Forest with the aim of making a documentary about an indigenous tribe and, during the journey, they meet Paul Sarone (Jon Voight), an insane hunter who wants to capture alive an anaconda, a snake that can reach twelve meters in length.
Also bringing to the cast names like Ice Cube, Eric Stoltz, Jonathan Hyde e Owen Wilson, ‘Anaconda’ made its official theatrical debut on today, april 11exactly 25 years ago.
To celebrate your birthday, we have prepared a short list with some backstage triviawhich you can see below:
- During the filming of a scene, the controls of the animatronic of the anaconda short-circuited, causing it to lose control. Some shots from the sequence were included in the final cut.
- Shooting in the Amazon Rainforest was eventually interrupted, as most of the cast were mortally afraid of snakes.
- The CGI for the anacondas cost no less than US$100 mil per second.
- Contrary to popular rumours, the film was not shot in the Dominican Republic. Most of the river scenes were shot on the Rio Negro, near Manaus. The rest was recorded at the Los Angeles Arboretum.
- The anacondas in the film are seen hunting in daylight and able to move from water to dry land without issue. In fact, green anacondas are nocturnal animals and spend most of their lives in the water. They are fast swimmers, but they don’t have the same dexterity on land.
- The anacondas in the film attack humans, but not each other. In real life, they practice cannibalism. Female anacondas, which are larger, are known to consume their smaller mates.
- Gillian Anderson e Julianna Margulies were considered for the role of Terri Flores, but declined to participate in the project. Ultimately, Lopez was cast to play the lead.
- The green anaconda is the largest native snake in the Americas and the second largest in the world. It is second only in size to the reticulated python, native to South and Southeast Asia.
- Sean Connery, Tommy Lee Jones, John Malkovich e Jean Reno turned down the role of Paul Serone.
- The film contains two allusions to Ice Cube’s music career: his first line in the film is “today is a good day” (“today is a good day”in the original), referencing their 1992 hit titled “It Was a Good Day”; right after, there’s a scene where he hears the song “Foe Life”from the group Mack 10who helped to compose.